Sunday, November 18, 2018

My love story - Renew vows?

     I was at a friend's house playing a game. His wife came in and sat for awhile asking us questions about how to play this game. Well of course the subject of marriage came up. His wife asked me if I would ever think about renewing my vows.
     I responded, "No" with such finality that they were stunned silent. I could see in their eyes and offended expressions of surprise that they were thinking, "Well, okay then!"
     I knew that I had to do some explaining. For all I knew, they probably thought I didn't think my marriage was good enough to renew my vows. That is untrue. I am sure they see my marriage like a lot of others with a lot of fondness. They sure did have looks of surprise and dumbfoundedness at how final my tone was though. I bet they be thought this was very unromantic for such a romantic guy.
   I wonder what the purpose is to renew vows. To me, it it seems like renewing vows are for people who forget why they got married or if they are in a rough patch this is how to patch it up. That's kind of like them saying "Hey we need to renew our vows so that we can prove to ourselves and to other people that we still love each other." Could it be just showing off? I bet some people do that.
    That is just not for me. I know why I got married. I don't need to renew my vows when I'm reminded everyday that I look at her why I bent a knee and asked for her hand. I don't need to renew my vows because I show and prove to her everyday that I meant every word of the vows I gave her on our wedding day. Twenty years later and I am still proving to her everyday that I meant every word.
     To me, renewing vows is kind of a gimick or a way to fix something that should not be broken.

   
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment